First a little exposition:
-Iris bit my power cord and exposed wires.
-I had fun putting my fingers over the exposed wire and watching it light up behind my thumb.
-Eventually my computer's internal webcam died.
-Bought a new webcam.
-New Webcam caused the computer to experience the "blue screen of death" at least three times.
-Researched the webcam and found out that that model is prone to causing computers to crash.
-Tried to recover computer to an earlier time...I do not remember why.
-Computer would not let me due to an error on the hard drive.
-After running a diagnostic (thanks to Will for the help) I realized that I could not fix the issue and that it may be a physical drive issue.
-Decided to back up a large chunk of my data just in case the issue becomes fatal for my computer.
-All was fine until I took my computer to school and let it shutdown at 17% battery power.
-That night when I got home it would start up but would not load past the "POST" which in my case is the ASUS logo.
Which now leads me to the reason of the post. How I accidentally fixed my computer...I hope.
Step 1: Remove Hard Drive
Step 2: Return Hard Drive to computer
Step 3: Power On (not fixed)
Step 4: Receive Hard Drive from Will
Step 5: Remove Current Hard Drive
Step 6: Replace with Will Hard Drive
Step 7: Power On (not fixed)...silly me forgot to put in the recovery discs
Step 8: Put in Recovery Discs
Step 9: Change boot order to boot from DVD first
Step 10: Power On (not fixed)...still freezes at the exact same spot
Step 11: Continue to repeat process until you are satisfied/defeated and decide to try something else
Step 12: Disable "Quiet Boot
Step 13: Jot down detailed account to mention to Will
Step 14: Realize that the Hard Drive might not actually be the issue...
Step 15: Put the Original Hard Drive back in
Step 16: Jot down the difference between the two boot processes
Step 17: Now feel pretty certain that the Hard Drive is not the issue
Step 18: Remove the battery to look for any defects
Step 19: Return the battery to the computer
Step 20: Power On (not fixed)
Step 21: Forgot to take the recovery disc out of the computer which needs to be on to take it out
Step 22: Power On
Step 23: Remove Disc
Step 24: Notice "Windows Loading"
Step 25: Computer Fixed...?
Yeah so I am a bit confused but apparently through all of that mess the computer is running again. I think I am going to leave it at home from now on and continue to take hand written notes. I am definitely leaving it plugged in and not shutting it down tonight.
Sounds like a computer gremlin.
ReplyDeleteDo you have 7 or xp or vista?
ReplyDeleteI feel like I would run a chckdsk (if you have 7 I would do a start up repair just to make sure it's not software issues) and I would set up a reg back-up drive. maybe a cd/dvd or the cool new external you just got from will all you have to do is buy a sled for it. Remember for laptops it is bad bad bad to leave it plugged in for long periods and not take out the battery after it is charged. It kills the charge length. I always pop mine out if I'm gonna just leave it plugged in for an extended period of time.
@Will
ReplyDeleteI'd say! I will try not to feed my computer after midnight or get it wet.
@K.Rhode
chckdsk was part of that diagnostic step..which was a fail because, at least with Vista, you cannot run a chckdsk on a drive that is in use. I only have one drive so chckdsk would not run. It also tries to trick you into thinking that you could run it the next time you start up your computer...but then on restart the switch is reset and nothing happens. That is why William pointed me into the direction of a sweet diagnostic program. All was going well until one of the last tests. Still unsure if it is a software issue because of that driver but I am leaning towards physical issue do to the prior events.
The drive he sent is half the size of mine so the back up thing would not work.
I always leave it plugged in although maybe I could take out the battery when it is charged. I hate having it unplugged and then be interrupted by the need to grab the power cord. They have these cool new power adapters that charge your computer until it is full and then shuts off. You can keep it plugged it and little to no power is running through it. When it comes to needing a charge you just push a little button. We bought it for Katrina's computer before she left. It is pretty sweet. I wish laptops had it built in where after the battery is charged that it switches power to come directly from the wall instead of through the battery.
is your drive completely full? If it isn't and you just back up the important stuff then it doesn't matter.I have 3 laptop hds from my laptops that died but didn't take the hds with them I back up my important file ie photoshop files, school work, and music onto them. they obviously aren't the same size as my tower hd.
ReplyDeletevista is evil. it is prolly the reason your comp is crapping out.lol.
In Win7 and Vista you can schedule check disk to run the next time that you restart your computer. Depending on how large the drive is you may want to have something else planned for an hour or so while it runs. To me it sounds like the OS is having issues starting up. Could be a bad sector, or something messed up in your registry. The best way to solve this would be to go to http://www.ubuntu.com/download , download a copy of Ubuntu, install it, and be done with anything that has "Microsoft" on it. It really is true that the best things in life are free =P.
ReplyDeleteYes and no. True, you are suppose to be able to schedule a check disk to run the next time that you restart your computer. I am not sure how well it works for Windows 7 but with Vista the ability is a lie. Microsoft dangles that carrot just out of reach to keep us running forwards. It is apparently fairly common for Vista to have the issue where the scheduled check disk is "forgotten" the moment that you restart your computer. Maybe some day when I have more time to get into complexities of code...even if most of it is simple to learn. Until thing I am going to hold onto the packaged gooey OS. ;)
ReplyDeletejustin have you put in your cd and try running a repair yet??? I just though of that... chkdsk works great with win 7 trust me I ran it a bagillion times in multiple labs...
ReplyDeleteVista is seriously crappy.. It killed two of my father's hds. he has been a network engineer since before it was cool (for those who didn't know what my dad does for a living), so I believe him when he says an OS is shitty and killed his hds... Maybe it is time for an upgrade?? See if you can get an awesome student discount.
Icky Linux only thing I like that for is servers.
The only way the recovery discs work is to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall everything. sadly it does not have an actual repair because it did not come with an actual Windows OS cd.
ReplyDelete