Thursday, March 4, 2010

Color by Number

So, we were out at the range today as safeties andthe morning sun was beginning to rise. In the distance the sky was looking a bit strange. Maybe it only looked strange because I have always been surrounded by either buildings or berms. Out on the range I could see for many many miles. The colors of orange with a deep purple stretched across the horizon. At first it was a slow creep but as soon as the orange color reached the sky above me we were swallowed by a sandstorm. It wasn't one of those super windy sandstorms that blew grains into your eyes. It was one of those subtle sandstorms and carried the finest sands that you barely can feel. Visibility was decreasing drastically and I could feel it getting tougher to breath. The range was canceled and we our way back home in the SUV. The strangest thing was the color differences. When outside for even a few seconds your eyes adjust and the environment looks normal. As soon as you look into a building with lights on all you see is blue. When you enter it takes a lot longer for your eyes to adjust back and everything keeps a blue tint. When you go to head back out you really see how orange it is out there. It was pretty cool. I tried to get it on camera but I don't think it came out as well as I wanted it to. The camera seemed to adjust to the color change faster than my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment