So, I'm not sure if I should share this or not...but, as always, I am going to go against my better judgement mainly because of how the story is one part funny and one part heartwarming. That is...I hope I'm not the only one laughing at it...
Let the story begin:
Last night I did one of my silly late-nighters that occur because I fall into a project and just want to see it to the end. The project wasn't anything important or dire but I just had to finish it. We have been working on a "Hunger Games" type map on a Will's server in Minecraft. I had a space in the arena that I was working on that I deemed the mushroom kingdom. Mushroom Kingdom basically consists of a bunch of giant mushrooms made into small homes. Not sure how much you know about Minecraft, my dear reader, but you can't just build a giant mushroom house. It takes about 9 planted mushrooms and you have to grow each of them in a specific order in a specific way to make the perfect mushroom house. Needless to say, it takes a long time to make one mushroom house...but it is worth every second because they are just so cute.
After I finished my houses and topping the castle I then decided to continue my building process and built some sewers below with winding turning tunnels that split off in different directions. This was also time consuming because not only did the sewers stretch beyond the borders but I had to make them pretty looking with different kinds of blocks. I also added spider webs...a little fun in the creative process. However, when I finished I wasn't done yet.
The next project was to create a beam of light that towered from the center of the area. This shouldn't have been too difficult of a project had I known that you can't build a beacon underwater, you can't build it underground, and more importantly the beacon must have a clear view of the sky. Trust me...until I read it online I tried all sorts of things to get it to work in all the places that I apparently was not supposed to be able to. Now a sane person would call it quits here since they have now finished three somewhat big projects for something that holds no ground in real life progress....but if you know me then you know I am not sane...
The final project derived from the dislike of having to travel all the way back to the arena from my previous save location in the game the last time we fought together. When you die you respawn in the last place you slept. I also wanted to make it so that when you respawn you can still watch the action from above while not getting in the way or confusing those that are still in the game. So I built a large glass platform high above the center of the arena complete with beds that we each contender can sleep on as to set a new and convenient save point. It was a 25 block by 25 block platform with the beds on a 5 block by 5 block wool section in the center.
I gazed at my completed projects with satisfaction. Anything and everything I had in my mind to complete for the arena was now successfully completed. Unfortunately, it was 3:00am, the heat was off, my body lost control of its temperature regulation, and Katrina's alarm was going to go off in about 3 hours. I also had a lot planned for today so the use of daytime hours would be greatly useful. So I decided enough was enough, closed down Minecraft, pulled the earplugs out of my ears that were playing the one song that I had been listening on repeat all night, and went up to bed while trying not to touch Katrina with my popsicle arms.
Now I know none of that sounds funny or even heartwarming but that was just a very lengthy backstory to the part that is coming up...
I barely remember Katrina's alarm going off because I most likely only had about 2 hours of sleep when her series of spaced apart alarms started serenading the bedroom. I also very vaguely remember hearing Katrina talking to me but all I remembered was the word "drinking" followed by a general feeling of confusion brought on but the sudden attempt to reboot the exhausted brain. When I finally came to at around 11:00am Katrina was long gone so I started my planned day.
The day before I wrote a list on one of my white boards of all the things I wanted to accomplish as well as a few rules: No Facebook, No Pinger, No ooVoo, and No YouTube. Basically I put a goal to avoid any social activities that would suck me in and take away to productiveness of my day. As I struggled at the computer to avoid those sites I decided to jump start with something productive on the internet so I did some banking stuff and then started at the top of my list. "10 push-ups, 10 sit-ups, and then shower". The first three tasks were fairly easy and quick so I pumped them out.
As happens most often, my mind received a bit of clarity while soaking in the hot water cascading down from the shower head. My subconscious connected the dots of the Scotch bottle missing from where I last touched it on the day I bought it (something that didn't quite yet occur to the conscious mind in my morning activities) and Katrina's vague yet confusing accusation. She thought I was up late last night drinking by myself downstairs while she slept as possibly a way to drink in secret since she has accused me of the possibility of being an alcoholic in the past.
I have reminded her many times that I do not drink that often and, on the rare occasion that I do, I most often drink in the company of at least one other. I have told her not to worry and that I am not an alcoholic...but then again isn't that what most alcoholics say when they are in the stage of denial. With that in mind there is no way to prove to her that I am not an alcoholic since my words and actions are not enough to gain her trust towards the truth.
Now this may not be funny to you or maybe even heartwarming but I can't help but laugh at the fact that she thought I was drinking and that unless she trusted me completely would have an easy time believing I was drinking with my late night alone, an empty glass next to my computer that I used for soda earlier in the night, and my slow-to-reboot brain in the morning. I also find it heartwarming that she cares enough about me to hide the Scotch bottle because she thinks I have a drinking problem. That isn't sarcasm. It is nice to know that someone cares. She also hid it very well. Trust me, I looked. ;)
I'll be sure to talk to her about it when she gets home and hopefully we can share a laugh together about the funny misunderstanding of events. It is also my hope that after this she has more faith in me and my character. I do have certain values that I hold pretty dear. Honesty is generally near the top of those values.
I'd be more worried about your Minecraft problem. You only played until 3AM? You've got to play longer, man!
ReplyDeleteI know, right? I need to work on that. You should check out my creations...just don't pull any levers, press any buttons, trip over any strings, step on any hidden plates, or touch anything...just to be safe. ;)
Delete