Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Contracted Health Insurance

I just found out that once you are signed up for health insurance that you are locked in and can not adjust any of the main benefits for a year. This is kind of sucky since I signed up last year and now, that I am part time, can no afford it. My health benefits take half my paycheck. I walk away with about $300 per month. There is no way around it either. I called them this morning to cancel it and they said that it wasn't possible unless some pretty horrific life events occur (death, divorce, birth, or deployment). I may have to find another job soon since my time will pretty much be wasted paying for health insurance that I don't use. For any issues with the my deployment injuries I can just go to the VA hospital. Maybe I can find a job with the VA. They are usually pretty good about those kinds of things for veterans.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's super sucky! That's through MeritCare (or whatever their name is now... I can't keep up), right? Maybe your boss could pull some strings? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Sanford now. I thought about talking to him about it but, with all that is already going on with the new ordering system, I figured I would think of something else. I am considering biolife.

    ReplyDelete